Microneedling is a common aesthetic procedure that Dermatologists have been using for years. It is often also called a dermaroller (Link Dermaroller page) procedure which uses fine needles to create minute punctures in the skin.
Principle Of Microneedling
The micro injuries caused during the procedure lead to minimal superficial bleeding and set up a wound healing cascade with release of various growth factors such as platelet derived growth factor (PGF), transforming growth factor alpha and beta (TGF-? and TGF-?), connective tissue activating protein, connective tissue growth factor, and fibroblast growth factor (FGF). The needles also break the old fibrotic strands and allow it to get newer blood vessels or revascularize. A fibronectin matrix forms after 5 days of injury which aids the deposition of collagen resulting in skin tightening persisting for 5–7 years in the form of collagen III.
The boost in collagen production helps improve the skin’s quality and texture. It also helps the skin to look youthful and fresh by reducing fine lines and wrinkles. The micro punctures also help improve absorption of skin care products in the skin. But there are certain limitations with plain microneedling. For example: The depth of penetration cannot be pre decided and depends on the size of needles. The depth also depends on the pressure applied and may vary and cannot be standardised.
Microneedling with Radiofrequency uses the technique of traditional microneedling to create micro injuries in the skin to stimulate collagen production. These controlled injuries are made by specially designed needles which can deliver high intensity Radiofrequency energy as well.
Radiofrequency gives additional benefit of collagen remodelling and helps in delaying signs of ageing. A good radiofrequency system like Endymed Intensif in Dr Divya’s Skin and Hair Solutions Clinic gives additional boost as compared to plain microneedling.
Combination Of Microneedling With Radiofrequency (MNRF)
Radiofrequency (RF) treatments are an alternative to conventional methods of acne scar treatment like Lasers Three major types of RF treatments that exist are unipolar, bipolar, and fractional.
- The most basic out of the three treatments is the unipolar/monopolar RF device that uses a single electrode and a grounding pad on the skin. This RF modality offers deeper penetration of the dermis but increased pain and discomfort to the patient.
- Bipolar RF offers an alternative to unipolar/monopolar RF that can deliver a more focused current to the dermis with less pain due to the need to use lower amounts of energy to achieve the same thermal effect.
- Fractional RF uses an array of electrodes that allows for zones of thermal wounds to be made between areas of unaffected zones, thus stimulating dermal remodeling and allowing for a supply of reservoir cells to promote healing. Variations of fractional RF exist that employ microneedles to deliver electrical current to a particular depth within the dermis that decreases damage to the epidermis.
- It appears that bipolar fractional microneedle and fractional bipolar RF have shown the best results for resolution of acne scars.
- A realistic improvement in cosmetic appearance in between 25% and 75% of affected skin can be expected with these treatments.
- It takes an average of three to four treatment sessions with one to two passes and 3 months post treatment for these results to be fully appreciated.
- This is most likely due to the required time for adequate activation of fibroblasts and the upregulation of the collagen production needed to replace the dermal matrix
In this procedure, the energy penetrates deep into the dermis (middle layer of the skin) and addresses many skin concerns and improves its overall appearance. Some of the benefits of the procedure are:
- Strengthens Skin’s Support System
Our skin is naturally equipped to heal on its own but with age and exposure to environmental toxins, often the skin’s support system weakens. The controlled energy of radiofrequency targets this underlying skin’s support system and repairs the damage caused to it. It further strengthens this support system to give a more youthful and glowing skin.
- Helps Delay The Aging Process
While aging is inevitable, one can definitely delay the process. Microneedling with radiofrequency does just that by reducing the fine lines and wrinkles which are prevalent especially in the eye and neck region.
- Tightens The Skin
The gentle heating of the skin stimulates production of collagen and elastin which help tighten the skin.
- Improves Skin’s Texture
The technique helps lighten scars and pigmentation caused due to various skin concerns like acne. This in turn aids in improving the skin’s texture significantly.
Some of the other advantages of the treatment are that it is minimally invasive and hence has a shortened downtime. It is also an extremely safe procedure for even sensitive areas like your eye region. The results of the treatment are long lasting which with maintenance treatments can last upto 4-5 years.
What Does The Procedure Look Like?
At Dr. Divya’s Skin and Hair Solutions, Microneedling with Radiofrequency is a simple procedure where in Dr. Divya first examines your skin concerns and then calls you for the treatment wherein the following steps are followed:
Step 01: The treatment area is cleaned
Step 02: A topical anesthetic application is applied on the area
Step 03: The device is then pressed against your skin. The needles break into your skin’s surface and deliver radiofrequency energy
Although the entire procedure is a safe one, you may feel minor discomfort. Your skin may develop redness and swelling post treatment. The skin may also feel warmer than usual. Dr. Divya will recommend a post treatment skincare regime that you need to follow strictly.
Endymed Intensif 3DEEP RF Technology In Dr Divya’s Skin And Hair Solutions Clinic
- The Intensif by EndyMed is the first FDA cleared non-insulated motorized microneedle RF technology in the market. Along with unique 3DEEP RF technology, the Intensif stands out among other microneedle technologies with its exclusive, smooth and fast operating mode.
- The Intensif’s smooth, gliding needle insertion motion as compared to other microneedle systems, offers fast and comfortable continuous operation mode.
- The Intensif’s non-insulated gold needles together with EndyMed’s proprietary Fractional Pulse Mode technology generates more heat safely into the dermis for better collagen remodeling with significantly higher heating offered than insulated needles.
- The Intensif’s unique needles require less passes per treatment, shorter treatment time and provide greater patient comfort with no bleeding or bruising and quick treatment recovery time that is faster than any other device on the market.
- The Intensif’s high precision needle depth, adjustable and ranging from 0.5mm to 5mm, provides the most effective treatment strength suitable to the particular treatment area., Intensif treatments provide significant initial visible results with continual skin improvement, well after the completion of treatments.
Who Can Opt For This Procedure?
Microneedling with Radiofrequency can be opted by someone who wants to:
- Improve acne scars
- Improve skin texture and quality
- Reduce Pore size
- Have a fresh and youthful look
- Get rid scars, pigmentation and stretch marks
- Erase fine lines and wrinkles
- Smoothen irregularity form skin surface
What Is The Benefit Of MNRF Over Co2 Or Other Lasers?
- MNRF is the safest option for darker skin types
- There is no risk of side effects like pigmentation, redness and bruising which is common with CO2 laser.
- MNRF does not have a downtime unlike CO2 and fractional lasers which can sometimes have a significant downtime.
You can experience the World Class Endymed Intensif treatments in Bengaluru at our centre in Whitefield and consult Dr Divya Sharma in Bengaluru for acne scar treatment at the earliest.